Sunday, September 19, 2010

ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

I am not normally a person who gets into debates on Facebook (or in the 'real world' for that matter, ha), but lately I have been finding myself getting rather ruffled up by negativity, generalizations, bigotry, and general nastiness around me. I find that when this sort of reaction arises in me it's usually got more to do with what I have going on inside than whatever idiocy is being presented.

For example... a friend who is Atheist posted something about God being a bigot that has caused all the human misery since the beginning of time (or something to that effect). I countered that human ego has caused more misery than anything else and continues to do so... it causes us to post things like this, to respond, to hold more tightly to our beliefs, and the cycle continues. It's frustrating.

I think lately I am feeling a shift in what I am comfortable with... time was, any mention of God would ruffle me, just in and of itself. And now, my definition of God is so different than it was because I have allowed it to change over time, that I feel myself defending, whether internally or outwardly, people who do have faith as much as those who choose not to have faith. It's the religion that gets me. It seems like religion was devised to help people answer their questions and make logical sense of a belief in God, but to me, that's not necessary! I don't need to think that someone who practices this or that rite has any more place in the universe than another. That's just ego talking (which sort of supports my first point).

On other fronts, changes are happening. I am working on cleaning and renovating a space that was owned by my grandparents until my grandmother's death in June (and now belongs to my cousins and me). We'll use the space to stage events for Project Yoga Richmond, which is a little stalled right now in the organizational stage (legal stuff which just needs to be sorted out and papers filed) but our logo is almost done. Soon the website will follow and our first major scheduled event will be on Saturday, November 6. My partner Jay is holding a monthly Biorhythms class which is a fusion of live music and yoga, and our site will be the home of the next one. We'll also stage outdoor "Guerilla Yoga" down at VCU and other places to raise awareness of our group. There's a lot of other things going on, but I am going to keep some to myself :).....

Namaste and enjoy your Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment