Wednesday, September 29, 2010

ch-ch-ch-ch-changes! (part deux)

SOOOO many things are in flux right now. I am trying to be just as flux-y and let things develop. But sometimes, decisions must be made, people must be pursued for assistance and answers, and you have to set boundaries and timelines and abide by them. And for me, all of that is very hard to manage without frustration. On Monday I was feeling really foggy about things and a little aimless. I wasn't sure what I needed to be doing, just that I needed to do SOMEthing.

FOR EXAMPLE: I have discovered that starting a non-profit is much harder than it seems! Apparently such things as LLC, Non-stock, Budget, Boards, By-Laws, and all of that really matter. I have consulted legal folks and now have more questions than answers!

On a positive note, our space is coming together nicely. Our floors have been done, and our offices set up. We're having a garage sale on October 16 to help raise funds for us to buy equipment for yoga classes. My partner Jay is hosting an event on November 6. We're planning a holiday open house event. We already have a few folks interested in renting space for events (which will help me to offset the operating costs of the building). Our website is still under development and our logo is done. Once we have both the web site and some printed materials I will be able to market our services to other organizations that need yoga.

My schedule has changed as well! I have two current classes coming to an end this week. So on a regular basis I'll have more free time to take classes, rest, plan, study, and help market. For a long time I have felt that teaching 12-14 classes a week was too much for me. Perhaps some people are able to do it well, but my personality and temperament seem to lend themselves to fewer classes with more intention. So now, with privates it'll be more like 8 or 9 a week. Still a lot, but way more manageable. My focus is changing a bit too. My classes are becoming less about perfect alignment and more about connecting movement, breath and spirit. I know this is sort of a "no duh!" statement about Flow Yoga, but coming from the training I received and its emphasis on alignment, the more I teach the less I think that exact placement in postures is a universal thing. We just don't have the time in a 60 minute class to discuss every nuance of a pose. I enjoy teaching flows one time through slowly, emphasizing some safety tips, but then letting people enjoy the movement more on their own and letting them repeat sequences several times to achieve a more meditative quality. Fewer poses, more intention and awareness. Ha, it just struck me that I need to apply some of that wisdom to my professional and personal approach to my OWN life!

Here's a quote from Judith Lasater that really struck me this week and I think speaks well to a person in my situation: "Discipline has less to do with accomplishment and more to do with intention and with commitment."

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment