Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Gratitude

So I am feeling like a little bit (okay, a lot of a bit) of a whiner after yesterday, when I was feeling sorry for myself. Woe is me for having too many opportunities to share yoga, for being successful and comfortable and therefore exhausted enough to warrant a nap during mid-day at a time when people all across this nation and around the world are suffering immensely. I have no debt, a comfortable home in a safe neighborhood, a supportive family, a thriving business, a great education, and assurance that I will eat three healthy meals every day.

I had a great day today, despite an empty classroom at one of my gigs (I'm choosing to blame the absolutely gorgeous weather that kept people away-- the weather was another thing for which to have gratitude!)-- I really felt things beginning to take an upswing. I started reading Judith Lasater's YogaBody which is so interesting! I love reading about anatomy, but I admit it's all so murky no matter how much I read. I feel really overwhelmed with information, and I only today read about the lower extremity (hips, knees, and feet). It's amazing the way the body has evolved to support our movement and how joints are supported and connected. It makes yoga an even more awesome thing to behold. Just walking is a miracle, but being able to do a forearm balance seems superhuman when you think of how we're made!

I am reading for my first weekend at the beach with Rolf Gates next month. I have to read this book, or about half of it, read some of Caroline Myss' The Anatomy of the Spirit, and write three papers in addition to the two I still have to write for the weekend in February that I missed. Sometime during that time I have to teach about 35 classes, visit with Tami while she's here from Portland, and go on a short vacation to Atlanta during Ben's Spring Break.

Here I go whining again. I am actually energized by a challenge. I remember in college I used to wait until the night before a long paper was due and stay up all night to finish it. I remember printing out the paper in the University library (this was before everyone had computers and printers! unbelievable!) about 15 minutes before class time. In many ways I'm still that person.

Wishing everyone the ability to stop and notice your blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment