Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Niyama Challenge, Week One

So as you may know from previous posts, in my 500 hour teacher training we are split into smaller groups of 3, 4, or 5 and each weekend our groups present on various topics... either something from the Sutras, or something around teaching (class formats, theming, focus). One group this past weekend presented on the Niyamas, which are the second limb mentioned in the Sutras. The Yamas are moral restraints for living an honest and authentic spiritual life (non-harming, truthfulness, non-stealing, moderation, non-hoarding). They are mostly concerned with how we conduct ourselves in the outer world. The Niyamas are their counterparts. They are observances for sustaining spiritual growth. They are sauca, or purity; santosha, or contentment; tapas, or discipline; svadhyaya, or self-study; and isvara-pranidhana, or devotion to higher power.

The group that presented (amazing ladies, all) challenged us to start 2011 by observing and focusing on a different Niyama each week. We are to connect with each other via a private Facebook group page where we share our journeys and support one another. The first week's challenge is sauca, or purity. Here is what Rolf says about sauca in his book Meditations from the Mat:

"Practicing sauca, we keep ourselves clean on the outside through ordinary means, and we keep ourselves clean on the inside through asana, pranayama, right eating practices, and right attitudes... Sauca is not about what we eat but about the cleanliness of our choices... It is the observance of loving-kindness in thought ... On the mat, begin to experience the asana and pranayama as purifying your body as well as strengthening it. Off the mat, cultivate consciousness and care around the choices you make concerning your mental and physical environment. Begin with your physical cleanliness... and then work outward. How are your surroundings affecting you? ... Ask yourself, how are my thoughts creating my emotional reality? Think of five things to be grateful for in this day, and then ask yourself this question again. Over time, as you apply the principle of sauca to your life, you will find that a peace settles over you."

So today, I awoke to the New Year by lying in bed, imagining all the ways I planned to observe sauca in my day. I did a little pranayama (and by that I mean, a very little bit), got up, drank a big glass of water (one of the ways I am choosing to practice sauca is by purifying through hydration- 72 ounces a day!), had herbal tea (instead of coffee as is my normal habit), made a delicious organic breakfast of steel-cut oats, apples, pecans and cranberries, then started cleaning up the house with Ben. We did laundry, vaccuumed, cleaned the dust from behind the furniture, put away clothes and tidied up our holiday decorations. I made a walnut-arugula pesto and we had whole wheat pita pockets and tomato soup for lunch. I am cooking black eyed peas and stewed tomatoes (Hoppin' John) for good luck this New Year.

In a little while I will practice some asana and pranayama and then meditate for a few minutes. Before bed and then again in the morning, I'll use my neti pot to clear out the sinuses.

As for the inner work, I know there are a lot of less-than-pure thoughts that pop into my head and affect my emotional reality. I tend to over-reflect on past mistakes, which makes me feel sad and guilty. I tend to over-project into the future about what might come, which makes me feel nervous and inadequate. I also tend to place pretty unrealistic expectations on my plans and how much I rely on other people to live up to what I expect as well, which creates all sorts of problems. It's a bit of a trap, seeking the highest but unwittingly judging self and other. I take a small degree of comfort (and indulge in letting myself off the hook a little) in knowing that it's probably the human condition, stated right there in the first couple of lines in the Sutras, to make these mistakes, to let thought patterns muck up the consciousness and keep us from peace. Sometimes, I wonder if it's a bit of a curse, having done so much work on awareness that now I am hyper-sensitive to my own thoughts. Hmmm.

Here are five things I am grateful for today:
~my loving husband, who likes to do the dishes, vaccuum, and do yardwork.
~my two dogs, who keep me from taking life too seriously.
~my friends that I have made along this journey who support me and who ask the right questions when I have a problem to discuss.
~my dad who I think doesn't really understand my yoga path but who tries to listen and give advice anyway.
~my aunt, who was brave enough a month ago to pack all of her things in containers and leave her unhappy marriage in Wisconsin and live here in Virginia.

"When the body is cleansed, the mind purified and the senses controlled, joyful awareness, needed to realize the inner self, also comes." Yoga Sutras

More later on my week long journey with sauca.

Namaste!

Update. It's day 4. Yesterday was terrible. I had the most debilitating migraine which I attribute to caffeine withdrawal... and I only drink one or two cups of strong coffee in the morning, not all day. I felt nauseous, weak and had terrible pain all over my head like it was being squeezed in a vise. It is very hard to focus on anything when you are going through that. I was checking out at the grocery store and the clerk asked me a question and it was like being in a movie and the sound gets messed up. I had three classes scheduled yesterday. I realized in a very intense way how the mind and body are connected, because with all that going on it was very hard to be positive. I felt angry at myself, confused, depressed, and especially fearful that I would not be able to teach or teach well. Somehow, though, I got through it, and feel a little better today (although missing that morning cup). One of my friends said yesterday that some studies show that a little caffeine is good for you. So perhaps after this week is over I'll allow that back into my routine.

I have also given up alcohol and dairy products and junk food (I already don't eat meat). So for snacks I am eating nuts, apples, carrot sticks dipped in hummus, arugula pesto with whole wheat crackers, things like that. I did allow myself one tiny piece of dark chocolate with fruit in it last night as a reward for getting through the day.

I am trying to focus on the great things going on in my life right now. Also, coaxing myself to feel good about the not-so-great things because, hey, it's all about perspective. Sometimes when we're going through things we can't detach easily and the weight becomes seemingly unbearable. Once we're on the other side we're able to look back and compare and contrast. I've just got to stay focused on the goal because tomorrow, the week is half over and santosha or contentment lies ahead... right?

Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. D- what an inspiration today. I needed to read this and am so glad I did. It's so easy to lose focus... but you know a part of ahimsa is not beating yourself (myself!!) up over a mis-step or for not getting it all done... for eating what I know does not serve me well... I think it's the small efforts in the moment that are best to focus on... those tiny victories... and knowing that it's all going to grow your character in the end.

    you're lovely... keep us posted on more.

    xo Mel

    ReplyDelete