Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Niyama Challenge, Week Two

So last week ended magnificently. I feel I have successfully conquered my caffeine addiction. Honestly, just taking deep breaths and remaining focused on the idea of sauca (and also remembering what horrible withdrawal I went through on Day Three... never want to experience that again!) and staying in sync with my fellow trainees... it all helped. I feel that sangha (or community) is so important when you're focused on accomplishment. Reading everyone's posts and having people keep my spirits up made such a difference. I had one glass of wine, and a tiny bit of feta cheese, at a memorial service I attended.

On Tuesday I found out that my former private student, Cherryl, had passed away from Alzheimer's complications the previous Sunday. I wasn't surprised, but glad she was relieved from her suffering. I also began to reflect on how working together changed me as an instructor. She was so content in her situation, and seemed to really enjoy our time together. I remember her words, "I breathe in love, I breathe out fear." I still talk about that, because it made such an impact on me. I have ever had such a profound experience like that with a student, not before and not since. At her memorial on Saturday (which was day one of santosha or contentment, how appropriate) the people who spoke talked about what a dancer she had been. I can totally see it. She was this lovely, tiny little lady with this bright smile and beautiful eyes. She was still so flexible even as she moved into the later stages of her disease. I think the saddest part was her inability to get up and move on her own. I can't imagine not being able to step onto my mat, let alone practice a sun salutation on my own. So I dedicate this week to her.

I can't say I have had a choice in the matter in terms of santosha. I have to practice it because I am too busy not to! With many classes and private lessons this week, and three meetings: for Project Yoga, for my grandmother's estate, and at one of my teaching venues. All that, along with planning a workshop I am conducting on Saturday. If I don't have steadiness and balance in my attitude, navigating this week skillfully would not be possible.

Here is what Rolf says about santosha.

"Come into any posture-- Warrior Two will do-- rest your eyes at one point, and just breathe into every cell in your body. Listen with every cell in your body. Experience the soles of your feet and the palms of your hands, the length of your spine, the sensation of air against your skin. Allow the posture to bring you deeply into the moment and you will experience contentment-- not as resignation but as the vibrant experience of all living beings, as the song that is sung by a world that is sacred."

Two more days of santosha, then onto tapas, or discipline. I plan to attend a yoga class each day or at least practice at home with a Yogaglo class. I may even take in a cycling class. I know I need to sweat more often, so that will be my intention for the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment