Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

Here is part of my daily reading from Meditations from the Mat:

"Unfortunately, the reasonable desire for ego-gratifying results must be abandoned in yoga. If we are really practicing yoga and abiding by the principles of yoga, then we are making a commitment to focus on the nature of our efforts and not the nature of the results. [This] sort of attachment to progress ... is not only antithetical to the true aim of yoga, it is also a one-way ticket to injury and burnout. When we focus on what we can get out of yoga, we miss the point. We also place ourselves in physical danger while sabotaging our relationship to our practice. to realize the beauty of yoga in our lives, we must never forget that the prize is in the process."

*********

What I think is so interesting about this passage is that for me, I could almost substitute the word "relationship" or "marriage" for "yoga" or "practice" and it would make just as much sense to me. I recall a time when I lived in a constant state of expectation about my husband, what I thought I needed him to do or show, in order for me to fully recognize him as a partner. In effect, I was seeking the "final pose," whatever that was, instead of breathing and enjoying the process of just being a partner!

Today we took a partner yoga class together-- our second-- and I think we really were on the same wavelength, so to speak. We really communicated, and it felt like we were really present, really listening to each other, and especially, smiling a lot. The poses felt amazing even if we weren't always in perfect form or balance. The whole class felt like a metaphor for our relationship at this stage in the game... I feel really lucky to be able to recognize this and be as happy about it as I am.

Wishing you a heart full of peace,

D

1 comment:

  1. It's good to recognize that. : ) It's also important that your partner is on the same page of the process... : )

    ReplyDelete